Thursday 9 April 2020

When the Predictable Happens

I have been looking at the progress of Coronavirus, firstly in China and then elsewhere, since January this year.  I've felt for some time that the Government has been responding slowly - from early March onwards, in fact - and I personally started fairly rigorous social distancing on the 12th. 

Also I have a lung condition - one that is not that common (sarcoids) - so I was aware that I was at risk.

Plotting the figures, I could predict that numbers contracting the virus and the numbers of those dying would go up exponentially - just as they did elsewhere.

However, it is all now happening (broadly as I expected).  And it is scary.  The relatively high numbers of deaths at present are roughly as anticipated, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch.

Also, I've had a letter from King's, a text from the Government, and a call from my Consultant, all  telling me I'm at risk and that I should be 'shielding'.  And despite expecting all of this, it has been quite upsetting.

So being proven right gives no solace, and really didn't help me prepare emotionally - or rather, it was an opportunity that I failed to make use of.

Hey-ho...



No comments: