Thursday 21 January 2010

Miracle

Last night we went to see Miracle in the basement of the Leicester Square Theatre.

I say we - I really mean the people who spend too much time with Tim W in the Nun's Head.

Tim was playing the bombastic actor-manager male lead alongside an entrancing Susannah York and a scary Lynne Miller. Acording to the review I read, the secondary parts were poorly played, but I didn't think so.

The play was translated from the original Afrikaans (quite well) and is the story of a troupe of down-at-heel actors preparing to play Everyman in the crypt of a church.

They dress the stage themselves, including another variant on one of the unicorn tapestries (not exactly the same). At moments the play caught some of the eerie quality of the medieval original.

After, we went to The French House on Dean Street for red wine and caught the bus home.

A fun evening. Now all I want to do is to watch Everyman.

No comments: