Friday 27 March 2009

A Great Silly Grin

I've been driving around South London today with a great silly grin on my face, doubtless to the annoyance of other road users.

The reason is not hard to find; as I dashed out of the house I grabbed the first CD to hand, which turned out to be by Jake Thackray. So as I drove along the Old Kent Road, Brockley and Nunhead Lane I've been listening to:

Lah-Di-Dah
On Again On Again
Brother Gorilla (Le Gorrille)
Isobel Makes Love Upon National Monuments
Sister Josephine

... and so forth. Now I have to say that this isn't a wholly enjoyable listening experience. I grew used to Jake Thackray on the Braden show and similar TV programmes from the late 60s and 70s, where he would sing sitting on a stool accompanying himself on acoustic guitar. This CD has tiresomely lush orchestration courtesy of Geoff Love (and, presumably, his orchestra). So it feels a little overproduced and the rich backing is at odds with the astringent / funny lyrics.

Nevertheless, the words are what make the songs - hence my ear-to-ear grin.

Years ago, it must be around 1980, I was living on the Wirral, and a work colleague - Doug Gray - suggested we go out to see a folk singer one weekend, with a group of friends. Now I can't abide folk, I really can't. So I almost said no.
In the end I only came to be friendly, and not appear curmudgeonly - so I complained all the way there. When we arrived at the venue there was a huge picture of Jake Thackray outside - of whom Doug had never heard (not being very in to TV culture, as it were). So I almost, but didn't, miss out on what turned out to be a really enjoyable night.
Ever since, I've berated Doug whenever I've had the chance: "Jake Thackray is not, repeat not a folk singer" is how the rant goes usually. (And he isn't - he worked in a different, French tradition. Have a look at the Web link above for more details as well as some very silly men calling themselves the Fake Thackrays. Sigh).

Anyway, I bought this CD a few days after Jake's death was announced - towards the end of 2002, from HMV on Oxford St. I've just looked at the price tag on the box, where it clearly says "HMV. Folk CD, 10.99".

Rats.
I feel another rant coming on.

However, perhaps the best way to decide this is to look at the man himself in performance:




I rest my case.
Not a folk singer.

No comments: