Sunday 28 November 2010

Inheritance

Although it is far from being my favourite programme, I nevertheless frequently find myself subjected to Saturday Live on Radio4.  It's worse, of course, when it is fronted up by regular presenter Fi Glover  - just as it's predecessor Home Truths was worse when introduced by John Peel in mawkish mode; David Stafford was much better.
This weekend was particularly cold, so I was particularly unable to get out of bed to switch it off.  Which turned out to be all to the good, because Alexei Sayle's "inheritance tracks" (music that was passed on to him, and music he wants to pass on to others) were wonderful.
Brecht and Weill's "Pirate Jenny" and Robert Wyatt singing "Shipbuilding". 
After the first was played, I lay there thinking 'he can't equal this with his second track' - and then he did.  Absolutely marvellous.  And Sayle's explanations and reminiscences were a perfect accompaniment. 
Apparently he has a book out - so as a result of Radio4 it may get bought (by me that is).  And his blog (see links) is recommended.

No comments: