Saturday 14 March 2020

Poem of Retreat?


Splendid Isolation

I’ve always been a little misanthropic
As those who know me well would surely say
And I have conditions that are chronic
So I’m hiding ‘til the virus goes away.

Social distancing, or isolation,
None of you will see me out today.
A strategy I’d urge on the whole Nation,
Just hide until the virus goes away.

I’ll read some books and watch improving telly,
Paint the kitchen ceiling, write a play,
Enjoy jazz by Brubeck, Miles or Melly,
But I won’t be going out – no way!

I’ll learn to play the harp by watching Youtube,
Practice my French, invent a game to play,
Cultivate a pear tree or jujube
I’ll find a new amusement every day.

Yes, coronavirus has me in its crosshairs
According to the BBC today
Therefore I’m staying far from all the world's cares
Until that Covid-19 goes away

And by this ruse I hope to dodge infection
To duck and dive and stay out of its way.
And when it’s gone, beyond the world’s detection,
I’ll probably come out again, to play.
(12/3/2020)

No comments: