Saturday 20 February 2010

Shut Up, I'm Talkin'!

So Lionel Jeffries has died - sad. Just a little while ago, I was writing about Ian Carmichael, and now another British character actor from the '50s and '60s has gone.

The comment I've seen so far has seemed to emphasise his role as Dick Van Dyke's dad (despite being younger by 6 months) in Chitty, Chitty, Bang! Bang! and his film The Railway Children (one of four or so that he directed).

I'd like instead to remember two of his earlier comedies:-
The Wrong Arm of the Law (1963) (this is an early trailer)

and
Two Way Stretch (1960)

I marginally prefer the latter, although I love the slightly more 'jazzy' feel of The Wrong Arm...

Note that in both Jeffries plays against Peter Sellers and Bernard Cribbens. amongst togers - fantastic ensemble playing.

No comments: