Saturday 1 January 2011

Christmas Stuff

And so it behoves me to discuss some of the radio and telly over Christmas.

The BBC belatedly decided to repeat The Goodies - albeit too late at night to be really helpful. And they got the schedule wrong – I almost missed the End of the World Christmas episode because it was advertised as Ecky Thump (which I have on DVD). I also caught the Bunfight at the OK Tea Rooms. Great and Silly.

Elsewhere, I found Dr Who merely adequate and the eulogising of Ronnie Corbett over the top. Although at least the latter reminded us of the great writing of Gerald Wiley, who wrote a number of famous sketches including Fork Handles:



and Swedish Made Simple:-


Gerald Wiley was of course Ronnie Barker.

There was a lot of telly picking over its own past, including nights full of Fawlty Towers and Blackadder. The former was pleasant if only because they seemed to make a lot of the episode with Bernard Cribbens (quite right too).

Cribbens also appeared on the obituary programme on Radio 4, when they discussed Elizabeth Beresford. I'd forgotten he did the voices for the Wombles on TV. Mind you, I always preferred the Borribles.

No comments: