Sunday 16 January 2011

Flat Out

So yesterday we decided that we’d have a fish supper this weekend; after discussion, lemon sole was identified as the dish of choice and around elevenish I toddled off to Sopers to purchase same.

The man in front of me bought three lemon sole and there was only one left on the ice, so I asked if there were more out back. “No,” came the reply, “there’s been a real run on flat fish this weekend – brill’s your best bet now.”

While I pondered the notion of a run on flat fish in Nunhead, the man behind me started ordering brill as though they were a vanishing species – as indeed they rapidly appeared to be.

So finally, and despite the fact that I had to supplement it with some less-fat seafood to make the meal complete, I did get the last lemon sole in Nunhead this weekend.

And I still feel quite bemused by the notion of a local run on flat fish.

And just a little guilty.

No comments: