Friday 9 November 2012

Permissions

 A few weeks ago I went to my college reunion.  The college (Collingwood, Durham) is roughly 40 years old, and those who started within the first five years of its opening were invited to the event.  From the start I had the feeling that this would be a complicated affair. 

I really enjoyed those three years, and I did go back once to a reunion in the early 90s, which was good fun.  But actually and for some time now, I have felt a greater attraction to the city...
... than the college. 

Also, a lot of the attraction of the place was - of course - related to the people I met there, and I am still in touch with a good few of them (albeit somewhat distantly).  So no need to go back to meet up.  In fact many people I knew had decided not to reunionate.

And we now have a son at Durham, so in the last few years I've been back several times, and - as has been pointed out to me more than once, particularly within the family - it isn't just my place now. 

And Collingwood has grown, expanded almost beyond recognition.  None of these blocks existed in my time.
So in many senses it wasn't like going "back" after a long time away. 

On the other hand, the grounds are still great. and there were rabbits on the lawn. Although the field next to the College, which used to have cows in it, is no more.
And there was still a game of table football to be had.

So as I said, it seemed a little complicated. I wasn't quite sure why I was there and it felt somewhat awkward.
(Here is a sample of complicated and awkward Collingwood architecture to illustrate the point and hint at some kind of pathetic fallacy...)

On the other hand, the room was rather good (in one of the newer blocks they've built, in part, to encourage the conference trade).  And Joe Elliott, the new Master, (or rather the Principal, as I gather they are called nowadays), seemed very pleasant and rather jolly.
There were few from my year there - so I spent most of my time with people I remembered from the year above me, which actually wasn't bad at all(!)  Anthony Tuck's history of the college was being handed out, and I also spent some time looking at the old college photos - which Christine got the porters to fetch down off the wall. Lots of memories returned with those.
However, it only really began to come to life for me when I went on a solo walk into town. 

Walking through Grey, looking down towards the Science Site and the City, I suddenly realised in a rather weird way that I was *allowed* to reminisce.  I had permission.  In fact, it was the whole bloody point of the weekend - it was what I was there for.

So for the next day or two, I'm afraid to say, I revelled in the past just a little...

No comments: