Sunday 25 November 2012

Wandering 1

And so as I explained earlier, a few weeks ago I wandered, reminiscing with permission, around the city of Durham.
There are three stags on Collingwood's crest, so there seemingly has to be a sculpture of a stag by the car park.  Who'd have thought it? 
This is just to make sure we keep to some of our brief here at TANH - a tree.
A view of the cathedral from between Collingwood & Grey
An old question I know but why is Grey so brown?
Here is the Grey hill, where the infamous Marching Song of the Fighting Uruk-Hai was first sung.  Well, I say sung...

At some point, when sufficiently inebriated, I may post it.
The path behind the tennis courts that leads down to the Science site avoiding South Road.  I remember this only too well...
But I don't remember this, the Ogden Centre for research into theoretical physics.  Built after my time. 
Although I seem to know quite a lot about it, as they regularly write to me (as a Physics alumnus) and ask for dosh...

Here are some parts of the old Science site I do remember.
... although the Library now has a new name...
Bryson is very kind to Durham in 'Notes from a Small Island' - and was also a very effective Chancellor (2005-2011).  On the University Web site he says:
I am struck by how expertly well you have a good time here. Durham students always seem to doing about a million things that have nothing to do with academic life and they are always doing them incredibly well. I cannot imagine there's any place in the world where fun is done more skilfully and well to a higher level than at Durham and often while you are having fun you do a lot of good.
So, fair enough. Why not  name a library after him?

Another tree...
The building below is also after my time - but some of the rooms inside it are named after people who were teaching way back then, such as professors Rosemary Cramp (History) and Arnold Wolfendale. 

The latter was Astronomer Royal for four years in the '90s.  I certainly sat in some of his lectures but I'm not sure how much he taught me. 

And he also features in the letters from the Ogden Centre...
More tree:
The Science site is undergoing development and expansion, as some departments move there from Palace Green.  I haven't really got my head around it...
Anyway, I left the Science site and headed into town past some of Durham's well-known sights...
...such as South Road...
... and the New Inn.
More reminiscent, meandering wanderings will follow.... (you have been warned).

No comments: