Monday 25 February 2013

8:41

To get  to work I usually have to leave the sunny climes of Nunhead and travel to Epsom.  Sometimes I drive, but more often I use the train.  And if that is what I have to do, there is  only one service for choice. 

Because there is only one direct train from London Bridge, through Peckham, to Epsom each day.  I don't know why; perhaps some requirement written into the original laws privatising our railways.  But whatever the reason, if I don't want to change at Sutton or Wimbledon - and in all likelihood Tulse Hill as well - I have to get the 8:38 from Peckham Rye.

Except that I don't, quite.  Or rather that is the train I get, but I board it at East Dulwich, at 8:41.  Which means I get the chance to grab a Danish pastry and double expresso from the very worthy Blackbird bakery. And if I'm early I can sit inside by the coal fire and begin the paper before heading for the train.

Being a commuter, of course, I always try to sit in the same place each day.  Part of the routine. And I always get a seat because I'm heading out of London, against the flow of traffic. 

So that is where you will often find me - second coach from the back, in the middle section.  Across the gangway from the seats dedicated to those unable to stand. 

It's a strange thing, tho' - those seats are often occupied by pasty white, overweight, hairy programmers on the way to Sutton, discussing software design.  So much so that when they aren't there I almost feel the urge sit there myself just to fill the vacancy..


No comments: