Tuesday 19 February 2013

Yesterday's Armageddon

I remember being told once that in the '80s nuclear submarine commanders were instructed that should the Jimmy Young show ever go off the air, it was a sign that nuclear war had started, London had been hit, and they were to open their sealed orders. Armageddon was at hand.

So yesterdaay morning, as I slowly surfaced from a night's sleep, I could hear Evan Davies voice but something was wrong.  It wasn't the Today programme I was listening to but a repeat of The Bottom Line.

There was no Today programme.

And this came only a few days after a fireball had been filmed streaking across the Russian sky.  How did we know it was a meteor and not an alien spaceship?  No crater has yet been found.

Let me repeat:  There was no Today programme.

At 8:00, to my relief, we were told it was because of an NUJ strike. 

And today, Today was back, with Evan.  So that's all right then.

But he and Jim Naughtie didn't sound quite like they normally do, and this nasty thought won't leave my mind:  When the aliens do invade, and start replacing us with copies, who will the pod people target first?

I'm sure it's nothing. Honest.

No comments: