Wednesday 29 January 2020

My Ears Were Burning

Well.  For many years I had my hair cut at the unisex hairdressers, Headnizm, in East Dulwich.  Sadly, their landlord raised their rates to the point that the business couldn't continue (or so they told me), and they have closed down.

So I needed to try another barber, and went to one more local.  A Turkish barber.  This was not my first experience of such barbers, but I fear I may have received what someone described as the 'full Turkish' experience.

The chap adjusted my head, as he cut, turning me this way and that without real directions, and he shaved much more off than I expected.  Not to be a wimp but it was a little rougher than I'd expected.

Then after an eyebrow trim he asked if I wanted my ear hairs sorted out (an issue for men of a certain age such as myself).  I said yes, please.

So he grabbed what looked like a wick in his scissors, dipped it in oil and lit it.  Then he FLICKED BURNING OIL  DROPLETS AT MY EARS.  I could feel the hairs singing and disappearing.  Hot.  Crikey!

So I left, pummelled, shorter-haired, and with my ears smelling of burnt hair.  Altogether a new experience.

No comments: