Wednesday 13 January 2010

All the way to the Chip Shop

With all of the snowy, wintry weather we have been having, I've driven to work more - a little surprising perhaps, but the trains have been somewhat unreliable.

Which gave me the opportunity to have the music in the car that I wanted; not to say that I don't like the jazz or classical that we normally have, but I felt like a change.

So the car went punk.

In particular, I dug out an old day-glo double CD compilation of "the greatest punk tracks ever". Or some such.

It isn't of course, it is easy to list the missing bands and tracks. And I remembered too late that the second CD is full of what is really just heavy rock - not really part of the punk aesthetic at all.

So I was just about to switch it off and flip back to Radio 4 when the next track went...

Da dee dee, Da dee dee, Da dee dee, Da dee dee.

(As an aside why do people do that? It is pretty much impossible to work out what song I mean from those syllables. It's a rubbish notation. Expecially as I was trying to make the point that it was instantly and joyfully recognisable).

...And then the first line, sung in a well-remembered whiny voice: "I was going out with a girl...".

Gordon is a Moron by Graham Fellows/Jilted John/John Shuttleworth of course. Quite marvellous to hear it again after all this time. I played that one track over and over for the rest of the journey.

Postscript: Looking around the InterWeb while thinking about this post, I came across a video of "Jilted John" singing GiaM at the Big Chill festival in 2008. But of course, it isn't; it's John Shuttleworth. I found the effect absolutely bizarre.

August 2, 2008: Jilted John @ Big Chill, Eastnor from NickH on Vimeo.

No comments: